At Volunteer Mississippi, we care about YOU and want to engage and support ALL Mississippians in service to their communities. Join our team and help connect volunteers with opportunities all over Mississippi so YOU can make a real change in someone’s life! #VolunteerMS
Mississippi Commission for Volunteer Service Job Posting
Agency Job Title: Executive Assistant
Position Type: State Government, Non-State Service
Salary Range: $45,000 – $65,000
Professional-level Administrative Support incumbents at this level are accountable for a variety of support service functions such as personnel support; general accounting; maintenance of files and records; and approval of requisitions for payment of operating expenses. Assists administrative support supervisors in the administration of agency programs and operations in the coordination of communications internally and externally, and in representing the agency to the public. The employee performs work exercising a high degree of confidentiality essential in the execution of assigned duties. The work involves frequent contact with various public and private groups and officials for the purpose of exchanging non-routine information as well as for interpreting rules and regulations. Independent decision-making is exercised in all facets of this work, including the dissemination of confidential information. At this level, employees provide executive administrative support to an agency head. Positions assigned to this classification are non-state service and serve at the will and pleasure of the Executive Director.
Job Summary: The Executive Assistant will provide administrative support to the Executive Director and other assigned management level staff). This is administrative work which involves assisting in formulating and directing the activities of the Commission. Incumbents perform a variety of important administrative duties in developing and carrying out departmental programs. The work includes responsibility for analyzing administrative problems and requires the exercise of a high degree of independent judgment in the establishment, interpretation, application and enforcement of statutes, rules, regulations, and policies. Incumbents work under the supervision of an agency, division, institution, or executive director who assigns their duties or responsibilities and delegates authority. The work is subject to general review through conferences, post audits, personal inspections, and written reports for conformity with established policies and delineated areas of discretion.
• Provides administrative support to the Executive Director of MCVS and the management team, including meeting information, scheduling, minutes, completing travel authorizations and reimbursements, events management, and general communications support.
• Reconciles / reviews monthly leave as submitted by staff for accuracy.
• Manages purchasing functions of MCVS by providing training and direction to staff regarding purchases. Ensures purchasing activity–including supplies, equipment, procurement card and travel purchases comply with state, federal, and other legislative and regulatory requirements by processing requests and requisitions. Uses and is familiar with State Contracts and process for using.
• Provides support to MCVS Board of Commissioners.
• Arranges logistics for Commission events to include securing venues, caterers, setup/breakdown attendee registrations, name tags, etc.
• Manages schedule of Executive Director keeping ED organized, informed, and prepared.
• Coordinates use of agency vehicle, maintenance, and reconciles monthly fuel report.
• Drafts correspondence. Receives and distributes mail.
• Receives incoming telephone calls; reviews monthly long-distance charges and cell phone invoices to ensure compliance with state regulations are adhered to. Orders cell phones for staff as required through the State Contract.
• Maintains shared calendar ensuring all pertinent information is current.
• Maintains department files and records. Oversees electronic filing of office documents and establishes filing system. Maintains V: drive is current and organized.
• Oversees inventory; including property audits and submits reports to the Office of State Auditor.
• Reads and interprets related policies, regulations, statutes, and general project/program information.
• Oversees employee onboarding and exiting.
• Maintains servicing of copier/toner; requests for keys; maintenance issues and technical requests.
• May serve as a liaison to department personnel, other public and private agencies and/or the public.
• Communicates with management on behalf of the Executive Director.
• Collaborates with the Executive Director to sustain, promote, and grow departmental programs and services.
• Maintains files and records as requested. Record-keeping responsibilities include overseeing and maintaining employee files of applications, interviews, offer letters and rejections, and evaluation dates.
• Drafts and maintains policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws.
• Organizes committee meetings including determining the time and place and drafting and delivering correspondence such as agendas, minutes, and transcripts.
• May Report to State Emergency Operation Command Center as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to prioritize and delegate tasks.
• Excellent speaking and presentation skills.
• Ability to create and present ideas and budgets in a variety of formats.
• Ability to maintain confidential records.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
• Exceptional problem-solving skills.
• Proficient in basic office equipment: copy machine, computer, and calculator in performing office-supporting functions.
• Excellent time management skills.
• Professional discretion.
Education and Experience:
•Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
•Three to five years of related experience required.
•Knowledge of the philosophy, mission, leadership needs, and planning requirements of the organization preferred.
•Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
•Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and references to: email@example.com