We would love for all interested to be involved in our volunteer animal therapy team. You can serve anywhere nationwide as an animal therapy team to help those in need through the human-animal bond interaction.
Watch our animal therapy team in action here https://youtu.be/tEXa2G20Rz4
Do you enjoy animals and helping others?
If so, you may want to become part of Mississippi Therapy Animal’s therapy animal team.
What do animal therapy teams do? Watch this video to see our animal therapy team in action at the childrens hospital.
What are the requirements, and how do I sign up for my dog and I to be evaluated?
1. Dogs must be at least one year old at the time of evaluation.
2. Handlers (you) must be of at least 16 years of age . Ages 10-15 may become junior handlers with an adult legal guardian that participates.
3. The dog must have lived in the owner’s home for at least six months.
4. Must be house trained.
5. Must be vaccinated against rabies . Licensed veterinarian must sign off on the animal health form.
6. Must not be fed a raw diet.
7. Have no history of aggression or seriously injuring either people or other animals. This includes animals who have been trained to aggressively protect and/or have been encouraged to bite. Example , protection dog training or other dog sports
8. Demonstrate good basic obedience skills. Sit , down, stay, wait, come, leave it.
9. Must openly welcome all strangers, different locations, smells, sounds, touch ect.
10. Be comfortable wearing MSTA equipment. Vest
Where can I volunteer? You may volunteer anywhere nationwide where MSTA is partnered with.
I’m ready to sign up for therapy dog evaluations.
If you need a therapy dog training program or help transitioning to become more comfortable to volunteer with your animal fill this form out below.
Fill out the contact form to be contacted or schedule a phone call for additional information. You can assist with or without an animal.
Mississippi Therapy Animal certified therapy animal teams provide critical support for all in need which can improve or change quality if life, and can be life-saving.